Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bunny Ears

A while back we made the decision to have our children attend the church service with us. It was such a great decision for us! It's been so much fun to see how the kids are responding to it, and we love being able to talk about the sermon with the kids on the way home from church! We've gotten into some great discussions with Kelsi and she thinks it's awfully cool when one of the pastors says "hi" to her.
It's been really surprising to see how much Matthias picks up from the sermons, even though he's only 4. One week the pastor said "Can I get an 'amen'?", and of course many people yelled "amen" in response. About 10 seconds later, Matthias did too. Another time the pastor used the term "party-pooper" and Matthias spent the rest of the sermon giggling. Of course it wasn't nearly as funny once we clarified that a "party-pooper" was not a party that poops.
Last night was a good reminder of how great the decision has been for us. Matthias recently clued into the fact that the words to the songs were always up on the screens, so after one of the songs was over he looked up at me and very excitedly told me, "Mom, did you see that? I sang the whole song!" He was quite proud of himself. Later, about 10 minutes into the sermon, I hear him say "Yessssss!" (Napoleon Dynamite style) and look over at him. He then proudly showed me how he had found 1 Peter, which was the sermon text.
At the end of the service, during the closing songs, Matthias was standing between Daniel and I holding our hands and Kelsi was on my other side and we had our arms around each other. It was at this point that I began thinking how great it was to be able to worship together as a family and how much the children had gained from being in service with us. Then I realized Matthias was no longer holding my hand, so I looked down at him. He was giving himself bunny ears.

No comments: