Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men...

I had big plans for election day, big plans.  On Tuesdays Matthias goes to his homeschool co-op class and this week they started a unit study on gratefulness.  Perfect for November, no?  My plan was to spend some time that evening, watching the election coverage, letting Matthias color in a map with red or blue as the votes came in and talk about the election process and how we can be grateful we live in a country where we are able to vote and have freedom of religion and so on.  Good stuff.  Well, none of it happened.  None.  Daniel ended up taking the kids to the library and then out to ice cream and by the time they got home the election was pretty much over (Not that I'm complaining! Plus Daniel brought me home my favorite Salted Caramel Gelato.  Yum.).  But at least they got to have some fun voting with us!
Lydia decided we must be coloring, therefore she should color too.  She got into my purse and found a crayon and a Target receipt and went to town.
Of course Matthias just figured he'd have some fun with the sticker.  Shortly after this he realized that Lydia was at the table playing with his Legos and destroying his castle and the excitement of voting was lost.

In other news, Matthias just lost his first tooth!  He was sitting at the table eating an apple and I looked over and he's staring at his hand like it just sprouted eyes.  I was trying to figure out what he was doing and then I remembered he had a loose tooth!  Oddly, he wasn't all that concerned that his tooth had come out, he was just trying to figure out where the blood had come from!  Poor kid, I hadn't quite prepared him enough!  Although in my defense, it just started getting loose a couple of days ago.  Then again, I probably should have remembered and not let him eat an apple!  I think he might be a little traumatized from it though, when we were in the bathroom cleaning him up, he said, "It's making it hard to see and making my legs not work."  So I had him sit on the couch and we took pictures and sent a video to Dad. 
Sadly, I noticed that his new tooth was already growing in behind the baby tooth that he just lost.  Someday that might result in some dentist bills...lovely. 




No comments: